Revising the Coasts Unit:
We have now come to the end of the Coasts Unit and its time to revise!
Here are some resources to help you.
Check list of key concepts to revise:
1. Energy at the coast - types of waves and basic principles behind wave formation / factors affecting the strength of waves
2. Coastal Processes - erosion processes (you need to be able to describe the processes and how they work); transport processes (you must be able to talk through the process of longshore drift and it helps if you are able to draw an annotated diagram to show the process) and deposition
3. Coastal Erosion Landforms - you must be able to talk through both the features and formation of the following landforms: cliffs; wave-cut platforms; headlands and bays; caves, arches, stacks and stumps (in your description and explanation of formation always include some examples of named erosion processes that may be at work). You should also be able to draw annotated diagrams of the features to show how they form as well as knowing named examples of each.
4. Coastal Deposition Landforms - you must be able to talk through both the features and formation of the following landforms: beaches; spits; bars and tombolos. You should be able to draw annotated diagrams of the features to show how they form as well as knowing named examples of each.
5. Case Study of Coastal Erosion - learn (including detail - i.e. location, facts and figures) a case study of coastal erosion - either Dunwich or the Holderness Coast.
6. Coastal Defence - you need to be aware of the options for coastal defence - hard engineering, soft engineering or managed retreat. You should be able to describe coastal management techniques and be able to discuss their advantages and disadvantages. You should learn a named case study to back this up - for example either Aldeburgh or Overstrand.
- make good use of your class notes
- make use of blog posts to consolidate your understanding / recap concepts you are less sure of (to access previous posts - use blog archive list on the left hand side of the blog - August posts) - remember there are various links to animations etc. to help you.
Interactive Revision Quizzes:
You must learn your notes (particularly case study detail) but once you have revised from your notes there are some interactive revision quizzes etc. here for you to test yourself.
Coast Key Word Flash Cards (definitions then key words)
Coasts Key Word Flash Cards (key words then definitions)
Coasts Key Word Test
Coastal Features Recognition and Examples Test
Coastal Management Quiz
Coasts Revision Quiz 1
Coasts Revision Quiz 2 - Penalty Shootout
Coasts Revision (Walk the Plank) - Hull Trinity School
Coasts Questions - Practice Paper
Coasts Downloadable Flashcards
Coasts Revision Dominoes
Coastal Features Countdown Conundrum
Crazy Coasts (Half a min - anagrams)
Coasts Dustbin Game - sorting erosion and deposition features
Coasts Dustbin Game - Erosion and Deposition Features Case Studies
Podcast 1 - Energy at the Coast - waves and wave formation
Podcast 2 - Coastal Processes
Podcast 3 - Coastal Erosion Features
Podcast 4 - Coastal Deposition Features
Podcast 5 - A case study of coastal erosion - Dunwich
Podcast 6 - Coastal Defence
Monday, August 20, 2007
Revising the Coasts Unit: